Welcome!

I am an Atlanta native and made the decision in 2007 to leave my job as an architect/urban planner to get my real estate license. This was a difficult decision but has been great since my very first day in my new career and I am really enjoying it! It is so rewarding helping people find that perfect home, and it allows me to continue to satiate my love of good architecture and great neighborhoods!

I attended Georgia Tech (GO JACKETS!!!!) which is where I met my husband. For almost a decade we lived in one of Atlanta's fabulous in-town neighborhoods in a great 1920's Craftsman bungalow with our two dogs and two cats. Following the birth of our first child, we bought a foreclosure in the west Buckhead area and fully renovated it using an FHA 203k loan, which was a fun and sometimes daunting process. And just prior to the birth of our second child, we purchased and renovated a home in downtown Historic Roswell, completing our personal tour of some of Atlanta's best neighborhoods to live in!

I decided to create this blog in order to share useful information and resources about the real estate market and home buying process, as well as hopefully bring some humor and levity to what is often a complex and intimidating process. Enjoy!!!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

FAQ: Buying a Home

Q: Do I need to get pre-qualified?

A: Yes! This should be your first step in the home-buying process and I am happy to recommend a good lender to you. The pre-qualification process is important for a few reasons. 

First, it lets you know how much house you qualify for and what that equates to in a monthly payment. Note that what you qualify for and what you feel comfortable paying on a monthly basis may not be the same. Often you will qualify for more house than you feel comfortable with. A good lender will create a GFE (good faith estimate) which breaks down a potential home price into a monthly payment, taking into account things like your down payment, property taxes, homeowners insurance, and HOA fees. This is what you need to pay attention to. Once you figure out what monthly payment you are confortable with, let me know the price point that corresponds with so we can make sure you are only seeing houses that you can afford. It is no fun to look at $300,000 houses only to find out that you only feel comfortable with a monthly payment that equates to a $250,000 house! 

Second, we will need your pre-qualification letter in order to submit an offer, especially if the home is a foreclosure or short sale. With the mortgage business the way it is right now, we want to show the seller in every way possible that you are the most qualified buyer possible so they are more likely to accept your offer.

I have a list of lenders that I know and trust, whom I would prefer that you work with. If you have a lender you have worked with before and trust, that is fine. But I have had too many clients get burned by bad lenders that promised things they could not deliver, which causes a lot of undue stress. My preferred lenders are all fabulous and very good at what they do.....and most of all, they are honest. They don't hide fees, they don't promise something they cannot deliver, they will let you know if you can get a better deal somewhere else, and most of all: they get my clients to the closing table quickly, easily, and great service! (and no, unfortunately they do not pay me to say this!)

Thanks guys!

No comments: