Welcome!

I am an Atlanta native and made the decision in 2007 to leave my job as an architect/urban planner to get my real estate license. This was a difficult decision but has been great since my very first day in my new career and I am really enjoying it! It is so rewarding helping people find that perfect home, and it allows me to continue to satiate my love of good architecture and great neighborhoods!

I attended Georgia Tech (GO JACKETS!!!!) which is where I met my husband. For almost a decade we lived in one of Atlanta's fabulous in-town neighborhoods in a great 1920's Craftsman bungalow with our two dogs and two cats. Following the birth of our first child, we bought a foreclosure in the west Buckhead area and fully renovated it using an FHA 203k loan, which was a fun and sometimes daunting process. And just prior to the birth of our second child, we purchased and renovated a home in downtown Historic Roswell, completing our personal tour of some of Atlanta's best neighborhoods to live in!

I decided to create this blog in order to share useful information and resources about the real estate market and home buying process, as well as hopefully bring some humor and levity to what is often a complex and intimidating process. Enjoy!!!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

FAQ: Buying a Home

Q: I am thinking about buying my first home. Why should I use a Realtor? Isn't it expensive?

A: Obviously, I am a bit biased, but in my opinion there are a multitude of PRO's for working with a Realtor and not really any CON's. I have found that first-time buyers tend to have a lot of misconceptions and confusion about the buying process which makes them hesitate to work with an agent. The irony of course is that a good agent will remove those misconceptions and help walk you through what is often an intimidating and confusing process. 

First, (and I get this a lot) is the issue of cost. As a buyer there is absolutely no cost to you for working with me. My fees have been negotiated between the seller and the listing agent of any property I show you before we ever walk in the door, and they are responsible for paying me. These are standard, industry-wide fees and any house with a sign in the yard has already agreed to pay me for representing you. Often people think that if they don’t have an agent representing them that means they, the buyer, are entitled to those fees. Unfortunately that is not the case and it is illegal in Georgia to do so. There is no direct financial benefit for you to work without an agent. 

However, there are indirect financial benefits for working with me. As a real estate professional statistics show I will be able to negotiate a better sales price on your behalf than you would be able to do on your own. In addition, I can save you a lot of time and energy. I have access to a much larger and more up-to-date database of available homes and can run specific searches based on your exact parameters. Once we get a list of potential homes narrowed down, I can take you to see each one, arranging all the appointments ahead of time so that we can be as efficient with your time as possible. With my lockbox key I can get you into any home that is for sale so you are not having to call each listing agent and try to arrange showings yourself. Once you find 'The Home' I will draw up all the paperwork and negotiate on your behalf until we have a deal that is suitable to you. I will then arrange all the inspections, termite clearance, appraisal, and title work, getting you to the closing table with the minimum amount of stress.

What I think is most valuable about working with me is my knowledge and experience. This is my job, I have extensive training, and I have done it a million times before. I know what I am doing and I do it well. I can help guide you through the entire process with an experienced eye to make sure you are getting a good house for a good deal. I know which questions to ask and which issues are serious ones. I have extensive contacts for other excellent professionals that you will need throughout the process, from lenders & closing attorneys to inspectors & appraisers, which will make sure the process is as smooth as possible. Most importantly, I put all of this to work for you and your best interests. I am on your side, looking out for you, fighting on your behalf to get you into a great home as easily and stress-free as possible.

So, like I said, I think there are tons of reasons to work with an agent and not really any not to. My business is based on referrals. That means that is it my job to create lifetime clients. It does me no good to give you only 50% service…..I want to do the best possible job for you, to make you as happy as I am able, so that you become that lifetime client and you want to refer your friends and family to me. My goal when I started in this business was to do 100% of my business via referral and by focusing on that and the service required to attain that goal, I quickly rose to one of the top agents in my office, which would not have been possible without creating happy, lifetime clients. That is exactly what I would love to do with you!

No comments: