Welcome!

I am an Atlanta native and made the decision in 2007 to leave my job as an architect/urban planner to get my real estate license. This was a difficult decision but has been great since my very first day in my new career and I am really enjoying it! It is so rewarding helping people find that perfect home, and it allows me to continue to satiate my love of good architecture and great neighborhoods!

I attended Georgia Tech (GO JACKETS!!!!) which is where I met my husband. For almost a decade we lived in one of Atlanta's fabulous in-town neighborhoods in a great 1920's Craftsman bungalow with our two dogs and two cats. Following the birth of our first child, we bought a foreclosure in the west Buckhead area and fully renovated it using an FHA 203k loan, which was a fun and sometimes daunting process. And just prior to the birth of our second child, we purchased and renovated a home in downtown Historic Roswell, completing our personal tour of some of Atlanta's best neighborhoods to live in!

I decided to create this blog in order to share useful information and resources about the real estate market and home buying process, as well as hopefully bring some humor and levity to what is often a complex and intimidating process. Enjoy!!!

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Happy Clients: Liz

I have been meaning to do this series for a while now and have been woefully behind. My Happy Clients series is meant to highlight the various fabulous people I have worked with thus far and tell a little of their story. For the first in this series, I thought it would be most appropriate to highlight my very first client, Liz.

Liz & I at her housewarming party

Liz was a young first-time buyer that was referred to me through my horseback riding trainer. She is a very cool chic with a great, spunky personality. She is also incredibly responsible and mature financially speaking for her age. Often times my younger clients have mounds of credit card debt and a car they cannot really afford that they bought when they got their first real job out of college. As common as that scenario is, it also unfortunately can make it difficult to purchase a home. However, Liz was a very refreshing breath of fresh air and had followed the advice her parents instilled in her to a T....don't buy something you can't afford. Novel, I know!

Liz was looking for a condo or townhome in the Sandy Springs area, close to her social circle but also an easy drive to her job. With the traffic in Atlanta, that second part was key. Also, being the fiscally responsible person that she is, we had a very definite price range to work within. We looked at several condo developments and two townhome developments and quickly narrowed it down to one condo and two townhomes. I walked her through the pros & cons of each, created a spreadsheet showing recent comparables, tallied up the difference in monthly payments due to things like taxes and HOA fees, did some analysis on resale values, and talked through any concerns she had.

At the end she decided to go with a condo in the Laurel Grove complex, a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired development that offers very unique & spacious units that are flooded with natural light. I helped her understand how, in the condo market in Atlanta, it was SO important to have something unique to offer with regards to re-sale values. There are so many apartment conversions on the market now that they are incredibly difficult to sell and the chances of doing much more than breaking even are pretty slim, so her choice of going with something that will stand out from the crowd when she goes to sell it was critical.

Liz has been in her new place for about a year now and loves it! We go to lunch together every month and she has continued to enjoy not only her unit, but the amenities like the pool and location as well. I love helping people to find that special home, and Liz is no exception....and it always means a lot to me to make a good friend in the process!

When I decided that I wanted to finally stop renting and buy my first place I knew
absolutely nothing about how to go about it. Alix took me through it step by step and explained everything in ways that made me understand what was going on as well as why. Her commitment was to find the best place for my needs as well as my budget, while still making sure I was investing wisely and thinking about long term as opposed to the right now. Her attention to detail and customer focus was what made it easy to put my full trust in her opinion and guidance throughout the entire process. I trusted her with helping me find my first home, and she delivered 110%, not only did I find a great place I also have a great friend. - Liz B.

No comments: